1. Home
  2. / Economy
  3. / 5 years after the Fundão dam rupture, mining company Samarco should return to operations at the end of the year
Area of ​​occurrence MG reading time 2 min read

5 years after the Fundão dam rupture, mining company Samarco should return to operations at the end of the year

Written by Roberta Souza
Published 30/10/2020 às 15:13
Samarco, mining company, operations
Samarco mine

Mineradora Samarco should resume operations at the end of this year. The company received approval to resume operations last year

The Samarco mining company should return to operations at the end of this year, after almost five years of the Fundão dam rupture, in Bento Rodrigues in November 2015. With repairs and compensation still ongoing, the joint venture between BHP and Vale is preparing to resume operations later this year.

See also:

The operations forecast will remain until the end of this year, and will be carried out after the implementation of the tailings filtering system and the conclusion of the business preparation activities.

The company highlighted in a note that the restoration will be carried out first at the integrated plant in the Germano Complex, in Mariana, in the central region of Minas Gerais, and at the pelletizing plant in Ubu, in Espírito Santo, and will be carried out gradually.

“For the resumption of operations, Samarco is implementing the tailings filtering system, which will enable the dry stacking of 80% of the tailings to be generated in the production process. The remaining 20% ​​will be disposed of in the Cava Alegria Sul, a rocky and confined natural formation structure that allows the natural containment of the tailings in a safer way. All the water extracted with filtration will be recycled in the production process, making it more sustainable, supported by good sustainability practices”.

The mining company had its operations paralyzed at the time of the rupture and in the year following the disaster, the Court of Justice of the State of Minas Gerais (TJMG) suspended all operating licenses. Then, the National Secretariat for the Environment and Sustainable Development (Semad) issued corrective operating licenses for all buildings in the complex.

Last year, Samarco received approval to resume operations. At the time, the mining company said that not only did it have all the environmental licenses to restart operations, but that it also expected to resume activities using new technologies for stacking tailings.

Roberta Souza

Petroleum Engineer, postgraduate in Commissioning of Industrial Units, specialist in Industrial Corrosion. Get in touch to suggest an agenda, advertise job vacancies or advertise on our portal. We do not receive resumes

Share across apps