1. Home
  2. / Renewable energy
  3. / How a solar panel can help reduce your electricity bill when powering an electric shower, saving on monthly costs
reading time 2 min read Comments 5 comments

How a solar panel can help reduce your electricity bill when powering an electric shower, saving on monthly costs

Written by Bruno Teles
Published 20/05/2024 às 08:59
How a solar panel can help reduce your electricity bill when powering an electric shower, saving on monthly costs
Photo: Canva/Disclosure

Find out how a solar panel can power your electric shower, saving on your electricity bill and providing warm, sustainable showers during the winter.

With the arrival of cold weather, using an electric shower can become a nightmare on your electricity bill. A 15-minute shower with a 5500W shower can cost up to R$41,65 per month. In a family of four, this amount can reach R$165 per month. But there is a solution: the solar panel. How long can you run an electric shower using just a solar panel?

First, we need to know how much energy a solar panel can generate. Let's use as an example a 670W panel installed in Curitiba, one of the coldest cities in Brazil. Curitiba has an average solar irradiation of 4,39 kWh/m² per day. This means that, on average, there are 4,39 hours of full sun per day.

To calculate the energy generated daily, we multiply the power of the panel (670W) for the hours of full sun (4,39 hours). Thus, we have 2,94 kWh per day. But that is not all. Photovoltaic systems suffer efficiency losses due to dirt, incorrect inclination and cabling losses. We estimate these losses at 25%, which leaves us with a real efficiency of 75%.

So, the daily energy generated by the solar panel is 2,94 kWh multiplied by 0,75, resulting in 2,2 kWh per day

Now, let's look at the shower's consumption. A 5500W shower consumes 5,5 kWh in one hour. To find out how long this energy generated by the solar panel can keep the shower running, we divide 2,2 kWh by 5,5 kWh. The result is 0,4 hours, or 24 minutes.

Therefore, with a 670W solar plate, you can take a Hot shower 24 minutes every day without spending a penny more on your electricity bill.

Comparison with conventional consumption

If you do not use a solar panel and only depend on the energy supplied by the utility company, the same 24 minutes of daily showering would cost approximately R$66 per month, considering the kWh at R$1,00. This shows how a solar panel can be a great way to save money and also contribute to more sustainable energy consumption.

Investing in solar panels not only helps reduce your electricity bill, but also promotes the use of clean, renewable energy. With solar energy, you can enjoy the benefits take a hot shower without worrying about high electricity bills, especially during winter.

Register
Notify
guest
5 Comments
Older
Last Most voted
Feedbacks
View all comments
Bruno Teles

I talk about technology, innovation, oil and gas. I update daily about opportunities in the Brazilian market. Agenda suggestion? Send it to brunotelesredator@gmail.com

Share across apps
0
We would love your opinion on this subject, comment!x
()
x